The Surface Design Journal is a quarterly print publication that comes with membership in the Surface Design Association. Its 76 pages are produced in full color and printed in the US.
Each issue of the Journal is designed around a theme that may focus on a technique, such as hand embroidery; a genre, as in mixed media; aesthetic directions, like soft sculpture; or a part of the world, such as Africa. International in scope, articles focus on contemporary textile and fiber-based art forms as realized through concept, process, and materials. The goal is to stimulate thought and inspiration.
Upcoming Journal Themes:
In the Journal, find:
- Articles focused on current directions in the field
- In-depth profiles of established and emerging artists
- Interviews with artists, curators, and gallery directors
- Reviews of local, national, and international exhibitions
- Exposure of selected works by SDA members
- Spotlight on accredited and non-accredited fiber programs
- Reviews of new books significant to fiber art
Send your textile arts news to:
SDAbuzz [at] surfacedesign [dot] org.
To access Facebook stories, ignore "error" message. Click on "Follow Link" at bottom.
Hunting for the Origins of Symbolic Thought
Kinematics Dress by Nervous System
Fiber Art: Long Way From the Loom
Artist JeeYoung Lee Converts Tiny Studio Into Elaborate Dreamscapes
"Normal Barbie" Comes With Cellulite, Stretch Marks, Acne + Tattoos
Pledge Your Support
Put your money where your (he)art is! Become a partner in crafting a 21st century vision for our community, publications & benefits of membership.